Episode 136:

The Uninhibited

The Murder of Stanford White


The Case of the Boys on the Tracks


Episode 136: The Uninhibited

Karen and Georgia cover the murder of Stanford White and the case of the Boys on the Tracks.

Listen on Apple Podcasts. Listen on Spotify

The Murder of Stanford White

The Murder of Stanford White Notes:

Header Image Source: Photo by Sergey Zolkin on Unsplash

Image Source:

Standford White 1892, Photograph by George Cox from Wikipedia Commons

Other Image Sources:

"Stanford White (November 9, 1853 – June 25, 1906) was an American architect. He was also a partner in the architectural firm McKim, Mead & White, the frontrunner among Beaux-Arts firms. He designed many houses for the rich as well as numerous public, institutional, and religious buildings. His design principles embodied the "American Renaissance".

In 1906, White was shot and killed by the mentally unstable millionaire Harry Kendall Thaw, who had become obsessed about White's previous relationship with Thaw's wife, actress Evelyn Nesbit. This led to a court case which was dubbed "The Trial of the Century" by contemporary reporters.

White's presence at the roof garden theatre of Madison Square Garden on the night of June 25, 1906, had been an impromptu decision. White had originally planned to be in Philadelphia on business; he postponed the trip when his son, Lawrence, made an unexpected visit to New York. Accompanied by New York society figure James Clinch Smith, they dined at Martin's, near the theatre, where Harry Kendall Thaw and his wife Evelyn Nesbit also dined. Thaw apparently saw White there.

That evening's theatrical presentation was the premiere performance of Mam'zelle Champagne. During the show's finale, "I Could Love A Million Girls", Thaw approached White, produced a pistol, standing some two feet from his target, said, "You've ruined my wife", and fired three shots at White, hitting him twice in the face and once in his upper left shoulder, killing him instantly. Part of White's face was torn away, and the rest of his features were unrecognizable, blackened by gunpowder. The crowd's initial reaction was one of good cheer, as elaborate party tricks among the upper echelon of New York society were common at the time. However, when it became apparent that White was dead, hysteria ensued.

Thaw, a Pittsburgh millionaire with a history of severe mental instability, was a jealous husband who saw White as his rival. White had first inebriated and then sexually assaulted an unconscious Nesbit when she was 16 and White was 47 years old. In the years following White had remained a potent presence in Nesbit's life. However, by the time he was murdered, White had long since moved on to other lovers, and it is conjectured that White was unaware of Thaw's long-standing vendetta against him. White considered Thaw a poseur of little consequence, categorized him as a clown, and most tellingly, called him the "Pennsylvania pug" – a reference to Thaw's baby-faced features. In reality, Thaw both admired and resented White's social stature. More significantly, he recognized that he and White shared a passion for similar lifestyles. However, unlike Thaw, who had to operate in the shadows, White could carry on without censure, and seemingly, with impunity.

Nineteen-year-old Lawrence Grant White was guilt ridden after his father was slain, blaming himself for his death. "If only he had gone [to Philadelphia]!" he lamented. Years later, he would write bitterly, "On the night of June 25th, 1906, while attending a performance at Madison Square Garden, Stanford White was shot from behind [by] a crazed profligate whose great wealth was used to besmirch his victim's memory during the series of notorious trials that ensued."

White was buried in St. James, New York..."

— Source: Standford White Wikipedia

The Case of the Boys on the Tracks

The Case of the Boys on the Tracks Notes:

Header Image Source: Photo by Paul Jarvis on Unsplash

Other Image Sources:

Photos of Kevin Ives (left) and Don Henry (right) from Bizarrepedia.com

"In the pre-dawn hours of August 23, 1987, a 6000 ton cargo train made its regular night run to Little Rock, Arkansas.  The train was just over a mile long and was traveling at a speed of 52 miles per hour.  The train had been riding smoothly as engineer Stephen Shroyer approached the small town of Bryant, Arkansas.  Suddenly, he saw something in his path, but couldn’t tell what it was.  As the train drew closer, Shroyer made the horrifying discovery that two boys were lying motionless across the railroad tracks:

“From the time that we had placed the train into an emergency position and laid down on the horn, I would estimate about three to five seconds to impact.  And that may not sound like a very long period of time, but when you’re bearing down a couple of children, it’s an eternity, honestly.”

The green tarp was never found

Despite the engineer’s frantic emergency stop, the weight of the heavy cargo train carried it for a full half-mile.  The boys’ bodies were terribly mangled.  The two victims were identified as 16-year-old Don Henry and 17-year-old Kevin Ives, best friends and popular seniors at Bryant High School.  The state medical examiner said the boys had been under the influence of marijuana and he ruled the deaths accidental.  Don and Kevin’s parents, however, could not accept that ruling.  Larry Ives began a crusade to find out what really happened and to salvage the reputation of his son Kevin:

“Well I couldn’t believe that Kevin was knocked out on marijuana or into any kind of heavy drugs, anything like that, because I was at home a lot during the day, when Kevin come in from school and Linda was here at night and we’d never seen him in a state that he even act like he was you know spaced out or however you want to phrase it.”

Kevin and Don were typical teenage boys.  They loved to work on their cars.  They loved to hunt.  Don was a natural comedian and Kevin was his best audience.  Most weekends, the two double-dated with their girlfriends.  However, on the night of Saturday, August 22, 1987, Kevin and Don met a group of friends at the commuter parking lot, a favorite gathering place for the local teenagers.  Around midnight, the two boys left to go back to Don’s house.  Kevin waited on the porch while Don went inside to talk with his father, Curtis Henry:

“And he came in at approximately 12:15, and told me where he was going and everything.  I told him just to be careful and he took one of my spotlights with him and took his .22.”

Was the mystery man the killer?

The two boys set off to go “spotlighting,” a form of night hunting which is illegal in Arkansas.  One of them would shine a light in the animal’s eyes, transfixing the prey, while the other fired.  That night, the boys chose their usual hunting ground, along the railroad tracks that ran behind Don’s house.  Three hours later, the train came speeding down Bryant Hill. The boys were lying exactly parallel on the tracks, their arms straight down by their sides.  According to the train crew, they were partially covered by a light green tarp.  Lying parallel to both of them was Don’s .22 caliber rifle.  According to Stephen Shroyer, neither boy was moving:

“I started lying down on the diesel horn.  And I got no reaction, none at all, not so much as a flinch.  And we just… passed over them.”

What had caused the two boys to lie side by side on the railroad tracks?  The State medical examiner concluded they had smoked the equivalent of 20 marijuana cigarettes.  He determined that Kevin and Don had been in a deep sleep induced by the drug and had never heard the oncoming train.  He ruled their death an accident.  Don and Kevin’s parents would not accept the medical examiner’s conclusion.  Kevin’s father Larry hired a private investigator to find out what really happened:

“Every time he would try to find out something, it seemed like he would meet resistance from different authorities… and we weren’t getting anywhere.”

Five months after their sons were killed, the boys’ parents held a press conference.  They hoped to force the authorities to re-open the investigation.  The day after their press conference, the investigation was officially re-opened.  Newly appointed Prosecutor Richard Garrett had the boys’ bodies exhumed for a second autopsy.  The doctor concluded that, together, the boys had smoked, not 20, but between one and three marijuana cigarettes.  He also found evidence that one boy was already dead, and one unconscious, before the train ever hit them.  A grand jury reversed the medical examiner’s original finding of accidental death and officially ruled the boys’ deaths were “probable homicides.”

Prosecutor Garrett then focused on the green tarp reported by the train crew.  Neither boy owned one.  Garrett wanted to know who had covered them with it, and why:

“All four of the people on the train who were able to observe the scene prior to the accident, stated that the boys were partially covered by a green tarp.”

However, police who searched the scene later denied that Engineer Shroyer had even told them about the tarp.  According to Shroyer, they even questioned the tarp’s existence:

“That to me would be like questioning the existence of the boys on the track.  Because what’s real is real and what’s not is not.  And… it was there, as well as the boys.”

Then, another intriguing lead surfaced.  One week before the boys were killed, a man wearing military fatigues was spotted near the train tracks.  His behavior aroused suspicion.  When police officer Danny Allen stopped to question him, the man opened fire:

“I got up from the seat.  The subject was gone… we searched the area and never found the subject.”

On the same night Kevin and Don died, witnesses again reported seeing a man in military fatigues.  This time he was heading down a road less than 200 yards from the spot where the boys’ bodies were found.  Police, however, were unable to locate him.

Update: Don Henry’s t-shirt was analyzed by an expert pathologist.  Cuts in the fabric indicated that Don was stabbed before the train ran over him.  In light of this new evidence, the grand jury changed its ruling from probable homicide to definite homicide..."

— Source: Unsolved.com article

Fucking Hoorays!


Vince tagged me in a Instagram page called Cheap Old Houses, and I’m just obsessed with it. They’re photos and tours of old victorian houses under $100k — it’s a deep dive, check it out.


My friend Dave told me to watch Schitt’s Creek a year ago, and I started watching it yesterday and watched it for two days straight! It is so good, so well written and hard-joke funny.